Beta 3 is out, almost there!
Posted on December 13, 2011
Beta 3 marks the end of changes with regards to migrating older versions of Events Manager to version 5. This also means we’re nearing the end of our Beta stage and a stable release is just around the corner!
Aside from having quite a few improvements and bugfixes, beta 3 also resolves many issues specifically surrounding Multi Site installs, especially for those in Global mode (in fact, this is the main reason why we’re slightly delayed with a stable release).
Here’s a summary of improvments/fixes to this beta (am sure I’ve missed a few here):
- Images can now be migrated/imported into media library.
- Multi site global mode now has shared categories and (optionally) locations
- More options for multi site users for displaying/sharing events cross-site.
- Old event and location URLs will redirect gracefully, preserving Search Engine rankings
- BuddyPress integration rewritten to be up to date with their latest API
- Lots of minor bug fixes/UI improvements
- An uninstall/reset feature in the settings page
If you already are running a beta of version 5, upgrading is a must, if you are still considering taking the leap but are unsure, we’re now working on testing and documentation, which means a step by step upgrade instruction is in the works and should be out this week.
What’s the holdup? When will the stable release be out?
Yes, yes, we know we’ve been hazy with regards to final release dates! The reason for this is simple… good things can’t be rushed. If something needed re-doing (for example, the way Multi Site deals with global locations in beta 3), in the long-run it’s worth redoing rather than patching it up, and hopefully now we’re almost there, it’ll be worth the wait.
We’re now at the stages of final testing, (re)documenting, minor touch-ups, and bug-fixing (if necessary). 2011 is definitely the year it’ll be released :) and it’s very likely it’ll be before Santa comes to visit!